Posted: March 3, 2014 Filed under: Health | Tags: depression, mood disorders, Stress
How chronic stress rewires your brain and creates mood disorders
by Mike Bundrant
(NaturalNews) The medical is big on theorizing about your chemicals and adding more into the mix. Traditionally trained doctors, however, give little thought into what causes deficiencies in the first place, especially when those causes are psychological.
This is why research into the effects of chronic stress is so important. The effects of psychological stress move beyond the mental, right into your brain chemistry. The following study demonstrates specifically how this happens.
Researchers from the University of California, Berkeley found that those who suffer from chronic stress experience long-term changes in their brain that makes them susceptible to mood disorders and high anxiety.
Associate professor of integrative biology Daniela Kaufer and a team of researchers have studied the hippocampus, which is the area of the brain that governs emotion and memory. They found that chronic stress causes the brain to generate fewer neurons and more myelin-producing cells than normal. This results in more white matter in certain areas of the brain, disrupting the balance and timing of communication within the brain.
The study was published in the journal Molecular Psychiatry.
Kaufer believes that it may be possible that prolonged stress may develop a stronger connection between the hippocampus and the area of the brain responsible for a person’s fight or flight response, while weakening the hippocampus’ connection with the prefrontal cortex, which moderates those responses.
This would result in quicker fear responses, as well as a reduced ability to shut down those responses. Kaufer is currently involved in a study to test this hypothesis.
Kaufer’s lab also discovered that chronic stress affects the development of stem cells located in the hippocampus. Ordinarily, these cells are believed to only develop into a type of glial cell known as an astrocyte. Under the effects of chronic stress, however, these cells matured into a different type of glial cell called an oligodendrocyte, which produces myelin.
These cells also help form synapses. Kaufer believes that because fewer neurons are formed under chronic stress, this could explain why it has such an effect on memory and learning. She is now conducting experiments to see if early-life stress reduces a person’s resilience later in their life.
Five ways we heap stress upon ourselves
Chronic, negative stress can be eliminated, however, we tend to cling to it in various ways. Here are five of them.
1. Refusing to exercise
Physical exercise is among the most effective ways to reduce stress. And it may be essential. You’d be hard-pressed to find any health authority, conventional or alternative, who doesn’t promote regular exercise to reduce stress and balance the mind and body.
Yet, we are a nation of couch potatoes. The Center for Disease Control estimates that 80% of Americans do not get the recommended amount of physical exercise.
2. Neglecting to treat PTSD
Chronic stress that comes from unresolved physical, sexual and emotional trauma can be devastating. Fortunately, it is one of the most treatable mental health issues. Therapeutic use of modalities such as Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), Neurolinguistic Programming(NLP) and cognitive behavioral approaches have a very high success rate in eliminating the flashbacks, anxiety, nightmares and chronic restimulation of past trauma.
It’s understandable that some people fear the treatment, but also very unfortunate that more people don’t take advantage of these options. If you have emotional trauma in your past, isn’t it time to deal with it and let go? You absolutely can, with help.
3. Catastrophic over-commitment to busy-ness
To say that people keep themselves busy these days is an understatement. In fact, being busier than you can handle is almost a status symbol. If you can say, “Oh I am so busy that I can barely think straight” it must mean that you are not a loser.
When you can’t say no to work, family and community opportunities, you tend to over do it and live with more on your plate that you can possibly accomplish. This adds up to stress.
4. Horrific nutrition
The standard Western diet is full of sugar, artificial chemicals, caffeine, gluten, candida-promoting foods, alcohol, bad fats and empty calories that make it impossible for your body to balance itself. When your standard fare is junk, you will end up mentally and emotionally depleted and more stressed than you would be otherwise.
Water is an essential part of nutrition as well. And most people don’t get enough. The Panhandle Health District suggests that 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated and that lack of water is the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.
5. Psychological attachments and self-sabotage
This is the granddaddy of them all, in my opinion. Self-sabotage will compel you to say yes when you mean no, eat and drink junk that makes you feel bad, stay up late when you need to get up early, waste time, work too much and hang around people who tend to control, reject or deprive you.
Self-sabotage draws you toward the negativity in life as if you belonged there. Amazingly, self-sabotage usually feels passive. In other words, it happens on autopilot, as if it were happening to you and not a product of your own decisions (until you understand how it works).
Chronic stress is the inevitable result.
It’s possible to live a simple, calm life that is relatively free of chronic, negative stress. Lack of exercise, PTSD, over-committing, bad nutrition and self-sabotage will prevent this from happening. From the results of the above study, it is apparently causing brain damage.
To learn how self-sabotage works and how to stop it, watch this free video.
If you like this article, then like my Facebook Page to keep up with all my writing.
About the author:
Watch the free video The AHA! Process: An End to Self-Sabotage and discover the lost keys to personal transformation and emotional well-being that have been suppressed by mainstream mental health for decades.
The information in this video has been called the missing link in mental health and personal development. In a world full of shallow, quick-fix techniques, second rate psychology and pharmaceutical takeovers, real solutions have become nearly impossible to find. Click here to watch the presentation that will turn your world upside down.
Mike Bundrant is co-founder of the iNLP Center and host of Mental Health Exposed, a Natural News Radio program.
Follow Mike on Facebook for daily personal development tips.
Posted: March 3, 2014 Filed under: Food, Health | Tags: cultured foods, fermented foods, good bacteria, Gut flora, gut health, pre-digestion, probiotics
5 reasons your digestive system isn’t working properly
It seems nearly everyone has digestive issues these days. Crohn’s, IBS, colitis, celiac, and dozens of other digestive disorders have made an industry out of sugar free, gluten free, and dairy free products. So why is it that those with digestive issues can’t often fully fix them and have to follow a very strict diet or suffer the painful consequences?
Gut flora imbalance
One of the main reasons you are not able to digest food properly is bacterial imbalance in your intestinal system. An ideal ratio for a properly functioning gut is 85 percent good bacteria to 15 percent bad, and when this is accomplished the good bacteria flourish and are allowed to do their job of digesting and absorbing certain starches, fiber, and sugars.
Unfortunately, a lifetime of habits littered with antibiotics, sugar, alcohol, toxins, and ‘dead’ food has destroyed the proper balance we require for good digestion.
In your effort to regain proper gut flora balance, consider antibacterial foods and herbs like garlic, onions, oregano, cloves, and black walnut. At the same time consider probiotic rich foods like green leafy vegetables and fermented foods such as sauerkraut, tempeh, and kefir.
(Note – BIO-SIL has cultured vegetables available – we believe this is a crucial area of health that needs to be explained and practised Keep peepers on this blog!)
Enzymes play a key role in our health by enabling our bodies to properly digest and use all the nutrients we take in to their greatest potential. If we do not introduce enough enzymes through our food, we put more pressure on the pancreas to produce enzymes in order to break down waste products, which eventually can leave it overworked and unable to produce the enzymes required to facilitate proper digestion.
To maximize your enzyme production, first increase your consumption of raw, organic food like papaya, pineapples, bee pollen, kefir, and fermented vegetables. Chew your food thoroughly to properly mix them with your enzyme rich saliva, which helps the process of pre-digestion.
Juicing is one way to really increase the amount of easily assimilated enzymes into your digestive system, as well as digestive and systemic enzyme supplements.
Previously, it was believed that magnesium was required for up to 325 enzymatic processes, but according to new research, that number is closer to 800. This makes magnesium very important in the digestive process.
Magnesium is also heavily implicated in proper functioning of muscles, including those in the lining of your digestive tract. A deficiency in magnesium causes the peristaltic action in your digestive system to slow right down, which hinders the movement of waste, and backs up the digestive process.
Consider liquid magnesium supplements, and loading up on salads rich in leafy greens and vegetables.
Stress creates all sorts of problems for your digestive system. It strips your body of various vitamins and minerals (B vitamins and magnesium to name a couple), tightens your muscles, slows down bowel movements, and inhibits absorption of enzymes and probiotics, as well as other nutrients.
Keep your stress in check through chamomile, medicinal mushrooms, kefir, and acts of gratitude, meditation, and exercise.
Heavy metal toxicity
There are many types of toxins that can cause digestive distress, however, one of the most gut compromising toxins falls in the heavy metals category.
Heavy metals are introduced into our bodies in a variety of ways, but some of the more problematic gateways are through vaccinations and mercury amalgams. Not only does this create a great burden for proper liver, gallbladder, and pancreas function (including secreting bile to facilitate digestion), but heavy metals also kill off good bacteria to further impair the digestive process.
Heavy metal detoxification is a delicate process and should be handled by a professional, but you can consider chlorella and cilantro to help bind and remove them from your system.
Posted: February 23, 2014 Filed under: Cures - Success stories, Health
Dr. Leonard Coldwell explains that cancer is a symptom, not an illness. He talks about stress and lack of energy as being the main causes of cancer.
Posted: February 22, 2014 Filed under: Food, Health | Tags: arteries hardening, gall bladder, inorganic, joints, kidney stones, minerals, Organic
DISTILLED WATERS KNOWLEDGE: DOCTOR BRAGG AND DOCTOR MCDANIEL ON ORGANIC VERSUS INORGANIC MINERALSDR. BRAGG:”Now, let me give you a short lesson in chemistry. There are two kinds of chemicals, inorganic and organic. The inorganic chemicals like chlorine, alum and sodium fluoride are inert, which means that they cannot be absorbed into the living tissues of the body.
Our body chemistry is composed of 16 organic minerals, which must come from that which is living or has lived. When we eat an apple or any other fruit or vegetable, that substance is living. It has a certain length of life after it has been picked from the vine or tree. The same goes for animal foods, fish, milk, cheese and eggs.
Organic minerals are vital in keeping us alive and healthy. If we were cast away on an uninhabited island where nothing was growing, we would starve to death. Even through the soil beneath our feet contains 16 inorganic minerals, our bodies cannot absorb them. Only the living plant has the power to extract inorganic minerals from earth. No human can extract nourishment out of inorganic minerals.”
—from, “The Miracle of Fasting” by Dr. Paul C. Bragg, N.D., Ph.D.
“What the human body cannot utilize or excrete, it must store. Consequently, the inorganic salts (inorganic minerals) are stored and in time take their toll in the form of hardening of the arteries, stones within the kidneys, urethras, gall bladder, joints and an etiologic factor in enlargement of the adipose cell (fat cell). To be one hundred percent healthy, the human body must be free of inorganic minerals.
“When pure water enters the human body, it leaves no residue. It is free of all inorganic salts. It is the perfect drink for internal cleanliness and health. Reverse osmosis water is crystal clear with every impurity removed, ready for and perfect for human consumption, free from all pollutants including inorganic salts, organic material, bacteria and viruses. No other water excels as fit for human consumption.”
— Dr. T.C. McDaniel, A.B.A., M.A., D.O., Director of Professional Affairs, The National Foundation for Prevention of Obesity
Posted: February 17, 2014 Filed under: Health | Tags: alzheimer risk, Coffee, depression, happy coffee, mood elevator, suicide risk
BIO-SIL note – we recommend using only pure coffee beans for your tipple!
How drinking coffee can give you a long, happy life
by Sarka-Jonae Miller
(NaturalNews) People joke about how drinking coffee has created a culture of caffeine junkies, people who are basically zombies without their cups of Joe. But the reality is that while some people will take anything to excess, moderate coffee consumption may actually be good for you. Very good. Research links drinking coffee to lowered risk of serious health condition, to longevity, and to better moods.
Coffee fights diseases
Studies indicate that drinking coffee correlates with lower risks of diabetes and heart diseases, two major contributors to premature death. It could also have a protective effect against Alzheimer’s disease or delay the onset. These benefits only seem to come from consuming coffee with caffeine though; decaf doesn’t do the trick.
Researchers from two universities in the United States discovered a link between greater levels of caffeine in the blood of people aged 65 and older with later appearances of Alzheimer’s. According to the people from the Universities of South Florida and Miami, higher levels of caffeine appeared to correlate to a delay of two to four years of the disease when compared to people who had lower blood caffeine levels.
Dr. Chuanhai Cao of the University of San Francisco said that drinking caffeinated coffee in moderation won’t necessarily prevent Alzheimer’s, but the researchers think that it could significantly decrease Alzheimer’s risk or at least delay the development.
Coffee is also a rich source of antioxidants that protect people from a variety of diseases. A 2005 study found that nothing else gives people nearly as many as antioxidants as coffee provides. For Americans, it is the number one source of antioxidants. Although there are other sources of antioxidants, such as fresh fruits and veggies, the human body is able to absorb more of these beneficial substances from coffee.
Coffee makes you happy
There is plenty of anecdotal evidence that coffee boosts the mood. Just hang out in Starbucks and watch the faces of the people who come in and then see their faces change after they have their drinks. But a National Institutes of Health discovered that at least four cups of Joe per day correlates to a 10 percent lower risk of depression. The author of the study, Honglei Chen, MD, PhD, hypothesized that antioxidants are responsible.
Another study found a link between coffee and suicide risk. The Harvard School of Public Health study showed that people who consumed around two to four cups of java had only about half the risk of suicide. The suspected reason is that coffee assists the body to make neurotransmitters including dopamine, noradrenaline, and serotonin. These chemicals help to fight depression.
Coffee may extend life
Most people aspire to live long happy lives, and coffee can assist with that not only by elevating the mood and staving off diseases, but it also may simply help you live longer. A 2012 study found that people who drank at least three cups daily had a lower risk of death. Both regular and decaf seemed to have a positive effect. A study from 2008 published in the Annals of Internal Medicine had similar findings.
So, if you feel guilty about how much coffee you drink, don’t. Of course, these studies were all done with coffee, not expensive, high-calorie, extra sweet coffee-flavored beverages. There are no studies to support that habit.
Sources for this article include:
About the author:
Sarka-Jonae Miller is a personal trainer, massage therapist, novelist, and blogger. Get more health and wellness tips on Sarka’s Natural Healing Tips blog,
Facebook page, or Twitter.
Posted: February 16, 2014 Filed under: Gardening, Health, Home | Tags: blood pressure, cholesterol, detox, diatomaceous, Hair, nails, parasites
What Exactly is Diatomaceous Earth?
In SA, available from http://www.biosil.co.za
Diatomaceous earth technically comes from the cell walls of fossilized single-cell diatoms – essentially, it’s a fossil, ground into a very fine powder. There are two general types of diatomaceous earth: food grade and industrial grade. While industrial grade is toxic to humans and pets, food grade diatomaceous earth is non-toxic and very beneficial on multiple levels, and is the type I’ll be discussing with you here today.
Diatomaceous earth exhibits some interesting properties:
- When viewed through a microscope, it looks like a hollow cylinder, with holes throughout the side.
- It carries a strong negative charge. If you’ll recall your science lessons, you’ll remember that negatively charged ions are attracted to positively charged ions.
- Therefore, when taken internally, the diatomaceous earth attracts and absorbs positively-charged pathogens into its cylinder – it absorbs the things we want to stay away from, likeviruses, pathogenic fungi and bacteria, heavy metals, prescription drug residues, pesticides, parasites, radiation, and the like – and sweeps them out of our bodies.
- Diatomaceous earth is also very hard. On a scale of “hardness”, if diamonds were a 9, diatomaceous earth would be a 7. This helps us too – as this powder makes its way through our digestive tract, it gently “scrubs” the packed-on residue we have there and sweeps it out of our bodies. Nice, diatoms!
- Also, because of this quality, it is very sharp. Organisms such as parasites, lurking in our intestines, are sliced up and killed, and swept away when we empty our bowels, and weare left unharmed.
- The last quality I’ll mention is also powerful: food grade diatomaceous earth is 84% silica, and contains some 20 trace minerals. Did you know life can’t exist without silica? It is essential for the building of healthy bones and teeth, skin, hair, and nails. As our mineral resources are getting depleted, our food is containing less and less silica. Do yourself a favor and add this divine diatom to your diet.
How Do I Take Diatomaceous Earth?
(Some of the following links are affiliate links)
I’ll start with a public service announcement: YOU MUST ONLY BUY AND USE FOOD GRADE DIATOMACEOUS EARTH. Sorry to yell, but the distinction is very important. Fortunately, it is easily found both locally and online.
Where to buy food grade diatomaceous earth.
Now that I’ve made that clear, I’ll give the instructions: to take diatomaceous earth, all you have to do is mix a spoonful into some water or other liquid, and drink. Follow with another cup of water. (Diatomaceous earth can make you thirsty – make sure and drink plenty of water while using this supplement.) It’s that easy! You can also add it to smoothies – it’s totally undetected that way.
Dosage: If you are just beginning your diatomaceous earth journey, start with a teaspoon mixed in liquid, as I’ve detailed above, once a day. Slowly increase to twice a day, and then slowly increase the amount taken, up to a heaping tablespoon, and up to three times a day.
Please hear me: slowly. Diatomaceous earth is a way to detox your body, and if you start with too much, your body will get rid of toxins too quickly and leave you feeling under the weather. Yes, it really does work that well! If you start experiencing light headaches, you’ll know you took it a little fast. But don’t stop altogether, just do yourself a favor and take it slowly – no need to rush.
Pregnant and nursing mamas, you’re in the clear – diatomaceous earth can be safely taken during either stage. Just be sure to drink plenty of water. It is also fine for children to take in smaller doses. My children get their DE in their smoothies.
How does it taste? Well, if you want to know the truth, you’ll feel like you just licked a mud puddle. Ha! Not that you’ve ever done that, but it just tastes… like dirt. Sometimes it is hard for me to get down, but I am so motivated by the positive changes it’s brought to my body!
My favorite detox drink is diatomaceous earth mixed with coconut water and honey.
What Can Diatomaceous Earth Do for Your Body?
- Since it sweeps out foreign matter, you will begin to notice better nutrient absorption and less fatigue.
- Studies show that DE can help your body lower cholesterol and high blood pressure. Believe it or not, some users report a 40-60 point drop in blood pressure points after only a month of use.
- The beauty mineral: the silica in DE helps hair and nails grow faster. Since I’ve started taking it, my nails have turned from flimsy to hard as a rock. My hair, which partially fell out earlier this year due to a difficult surgery recovery, has begun filling in nicely. I have read many, many testimonies of people who have reported that it reversed their baldness. The silica also helps reduce wrinkles, age spots, and acne, and it also strengthens teeth and bones, tendons, and joints.
- Metal detoxification: since DE sweeps heavy metals out of the body, this is helpful especially to those with heavy metal poisoning or mercury fillings, which leach mercury constantly into the body. Aluminum is also swept out, lowering the risk for Alzheimer’s disease.
- Helps repair and maintain lung function, acts as a cough decreasing agent
- Helps prevent kidney stones, osteoporosis,
- Decreases vertigo, tinnitus, and insomnia
- Regulates bowel movements, lessens gastrointestinal inflammation, cleans out the colon, treats both diarrhea and constipation. It is a great choice for families on the GAPS diet!
- Treats head lice and fleas (make sure you don’t inhale the powder)
Diatomaceous Earth for Furry Friends
It’s true – your pets and livestock will reap the benefits as well.
- Sprinkle a little DE on your pets’ food daily for the same benefits you receive. This is a great de-wormer!
- Carefully sprinkle onto your pets’ and livestock’s coats – making sure none is inhaled – for protection from lice, ticks and fleas.
- Sprinkle in the kitty litter box and pet beds for extra odor and flea protection.
- Sprinkle in your barn, stalls, nesting areas, and coops for pest protection.
- Decreased mastitis and increased milk production in livestock with internal use. Causes healthier coat and hooves.
- Better and stronger eggs produced by hens who have it sprinkled in their feed.
- For dosage instructions and more benefits, visit this page.
Diatomaceous Earth for the Home and Homestead
You can use DE around your home in the following ways:
- Sprinkle around windows and entrances to protect from ants, spiders, and even scorpions. (The DE scrapes their exoskeleton and dries it out, leaving them dead.)
- Sprinkle a ring around your garden plants for protection from garden pests. (Do realize, though, that DE kills beneficial insects as well. Avoid applying onto flowers. – Does not harm worms or beneficial soil microorganisms.
- DE will destroy ant colonies, even fire ant colonies. Sprinkle around and in the hole.
- DE can be used to treat a bedbug infestation.
- Sprinkle DE in your garbage bins for odor and pest protection.
- Got a compost heap? Apply DE to keep odors and pests away.
- Add to manure heaps to keep flies and larvae down.
- Add to bulk grains to keep pests and moisture out.
- You can use DE to make your own homemade toothpaste! I have a recipe coming to my blog soon.
- You can add DE to your homemade “DE”odorant – I am also working on a recipe for this.
- You can sprinkle DE in your toilet for a little extra scrubbing power – it won’t harm porcelain.
FYI: if the area where you applied the DE gets wet, such as in the garden, please reapply.
As you can see, there are so many uses! I hope I’ve intrigued you today about my friend, diatomaceous earth. I believe no family, home, or homestead should be without it. It’s worth a shot, don’t you think?
Danielle is first and foremost a daughter of the Most High God. She is married to her best friend, and they have four children. She is a recovering procrastinator, a real foodie, and an unapologetic dreamer. And yes, she eats dirt daily. You can find Danielle blogging about life, love, simplicity, and her affinity for bacon at http://lovelovething.com– Don’t forget to join the discussion on Facebook too.
Source : http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2014/01/diatomaceous-earth-homestead.html
Posted: February 14, 2014 Filed under: Health | Tags: kidney stones
Top 10 Natural Remedies for Kidney Stones
There are various reasons for the formation of kidney stones. It could be that your diet is too high in calcium, meat protein, salt (increases urate), purines (found in alcoholic beverages) or oxalate (cranberry, apple, orange juices). Insufficient water consumption is also a factor. Other causative factors are existing medical problems such as urinary tract infection, gout, inflammatory bowel disorders, sedentary lifestyle and genetics.
People with kidney stones experience extreme discomfort, with several episodes of sudden sharp and excruciating pain in the lower abdomen or groin that can sometimes be relieved by movement. The pain may or may not radiate, depending on whether the stones move. Signs and symptoms associated with kidney stones include abdominal pain, fever, chills, nausea and vomiting. Larger stones are often treated by using ultrasound or X-rays to locate them and then shock waves or laser treatment to break them down. In fewer than 1% of cases they will have to be surgically removed.
Once it is medically confirmed that you have kidney stones, doctors will more than likely send you home with a prescription for heavy duty pain killers. However, medications are not the only tool that can relieve you of your suffering from kidney stones. In fact, there are natural remedies that may be able to provide additional comfort as you and your body duel with kidney stones.
10 Natural Remedies For Kidney Stones
1. Increase Your Hydration – This is by far the best natural remedy for any type of kidney stones you have. People diagnosed with kidney stones should be consuming a minimum of 10 glasses of fluids on a daily basis. People who are at risk of developing cystine stones should drink more fluids, at least 14 glasses every day. To determine if you are drinking enough fluids, check if your urine is colourless. If not, then you ought to increase your hydration and must be consistent with it.
Water remains the best fluid for everyone and should comprise at least half of their hydration routine. Although there is calcium concentration in water in general, it plays a diminutive role in stone formation. Lemon juice (up to half a cup per day) is a wonderful ingredient that can be added to your water or food (especially good with meats or fish) and is proven to be beneficial in the prevention of kidney stones because it contains citric acid. As citrate levels in the body increase, your protection against kidney stones also increases. The high content of vitamin C will also boost your immune system. 
2. Dandelion – A taproot perennial that grows abundantly in North America, Europe and Asia, dandelion (Taraxacum Officinale) has anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties  that contribute to the prevention of kidney stones. On top of that, dandelion is a natural diuretic which makes it a great tonic and cleanser for our kidneys, often helping to dissolve stones and to prevent further formation of them. You can make an infusion of dandelion leaves or a decoction of the root, either by harvesting your own plants (the roots can be dried slowly in a warm oven for storage) or by buying ready-made dandelion tea bags or tincture. It is best taken unsweetened as the bitter taste stimulates the digestive system.
3. Pomegranates – Since pomegranates are low in potassium, they are great for people who are on a renal diet. A renal diet is generally low in protein, salt, phosphorus and potassium and is recommended for people who are suffering from renal problems like kidney stones and kidney failure. So if you are concerned about the risk of kidney stones, start your day with a glass of fresh pomegranate juice or make a habit of eating pomegranates.
4. Basil – Basil is commonly found in our kitchen, but did you know that basil is a known natural remedy for kidney stones? Basil can strengthen our kidneys.  Make a tea or juice out of fresh basil leaves, adding some raw honey. Drinking this delicious concoction everyday can help to alleviate the discomfort of kidney stones.
5. Grapefruit – Grapefruit ranks as one of the most powerful sources of antioxidants among fruits therefore the regular consumption of grapefruit can help you ward off urinary tract infection. Grapefruit juice is another powerful tool that reduces calcium oxalate kidney stones.  In a study published in The British Journal of Nutrition, the incidence of calcium oxalate stone formation lowered among their subjects who drank half to one litre of grapefruit juice daily due to an increased urine pH and increased citrate levels.
6. Marshmallow Root – Marshmallow root has strong anti-inflammatory properties. This herb contains mucilages, which form a protective coating to soothe tissues that have become inflamed and irritated. This coating protects the digestive and urinary tract when kidney stones pass. Dr. James Balch, author of The Super Antioxidants, recommends a daily intake of two pints of marshmallow root tea to effectively flush out kidney stones from the body. 
7. Green Tea – Perhaps everybody agrees that green tea is a wonder drink. A group of doctors from Nagoya City University Graduate School of Medical Sciences conducted a study in 2005 about the preventative effects of green tea in the formation of renal stones. The study showed that the antioxidant properties of green tea actually lowered the formation of calcium oxalate deposits thus preventing calcium oxalate urolithiasis.  Opt for the caffeine free green tea, and drink at least 2-3 cups a day.
8. Wild Carrot (Leaves and Seeds) – As an aromatic herb, wild carrot (Daucus Carota) is not to be confused with the common vegetable carrot. Wild carrot is a known diuretic, which means it encourages toxins and waste to be flushed out from our kidneys.  It has been said that a herbal infusion of the wild carrot leaves and seeds is a good natural antidote to kidney stone formation. Even if stones have begun to form, the same concoction is still reported to be capable of diminishing those harmful stones and reducing their recurrence.
9. Eat for the benefit of your kidneys – Too much salt, alcohol and preservatives top the list of food items to avoid. Go for meals that contain a minimal amount of salt and as much as possible cook your own food from fresh ingredients. Buying canned goods is not only more costly but also potentially dangerous to your kidneys. Invest in fruits and vegetables that have high antioxidant properties such as tomatoes, blueberries, squashes and carrots. Beware of red meats (such as pork and beef), oxalate rich foods (nuts, spinach and beans), cold water fish, refined foods like white bread and commercial fast foods like French fries and burgers.
10. A healthy lifestyle means healthy kidneys – Before taking any prescription drugs, always consult your doctor first. There are medications that can do more harm to your kidneys than good. Start a habit of doing at least 30 minutes of exercise every day – this will help your body’s fluids to circulate and to keep your system free from kidney stones.
More: – Note that we also have a page all about Herbs For Kidney Stones.
 “Kidney stones.” NHS Choices. Gov.uk, n.d. Web. 21 July 2013. http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/kidney-stones/Pages/Introduction.aspx
 Penniston, Kristina. “Citric Acid and Kidney Stones.” UW Hospital Metabolic Stone Clinic. UW Health. UW Hospital and Clinics, n.d. Web. 21 July 2013.http://www.uwhealth.org/files/uwhealth/docs/pdf/kidney_citric_acid.pdf
 Roizman, Tracy. “The Benefits of Dandelion Leaf & Root for the Kidneys.” Popular Herbal Supplements. Livestrong.com. Livestrong Foundation, 7 Oct. 2011. Web. 21 July 2013.http://www.livestrong.com/article/546304-the-benefits-of-dandelion-leaf-root-for-the-kidneys/
 “Medicinal Uses and Health Benefits of Basil.” Natural Health. Off The Grid News. N.p., 21 Apr. 2011. Web. 21 July 2013. http://www.offthegridnews.com/2011/04/21/medicinal-uses-and-health-benefits-of-basil
 “Grapefruit.” The World’s Healthiest Foods. George Mateljan Foundation, n.d. Web. 21 July 2013.http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=25
 Marx, Natalie. “Alternatively Speaking: Kidney stones.” Lifestyle. The Jerusalem Post. N.p., 31 May 2012. Web. 21 July 2013. http://www.jpost.com/LifeStyle/Alternatively-Speaking-Kidney-stones
 Itoh, Y, et al. “Preventive effects of green tea on renal stone formation and the role of oxidative stress in nephrolithiasis.” The Journal of Urology 173.1 (2005): 271-75. Abstract. PubMed.gov. Web. 21 July 2013.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15592095
 “Wild Carrots.” Plants. Preparing To Survive. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 July 2013.http://www.preparingtosurvive.com/carrot.html
Posted: February 13, 2014 Filed under: Beauty, Health, Home | Tags: bones, detox, Diatomaceous earth, Hair, household uses for DE, joints, nails, silica, teeth and gums, Weight loss
Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth
On this page, we have categorized some of the results from testimonial reports that we have reviewed regarding Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth human health benefits, and wherever possible between this page and our “How DE Works” page, we try to reflect the science behind the testimonials. Of course, most actual in depth health related studies are initiated and controlled by the pharmaceutical industry, and why should those companies study the value of health remedies found in nature that could actually hurt their bottom line?
So here, we will endeavor to discuss the results that DE users have experienced by taking a heaping tablespoon of DE in their favorite juice or liquid on a daily basis without the benefit of an industry sponsored study. For more background on how Diatomaceous Earth works within the human body to create the benefits related on this page, see How DE Works
. Some people react with great skepticism regarding human consumption of DE, and while it is not allowed by government regulators for distributers to make claims about DE’s use as a human health supplement, we do hope to help illuminate the logical reasoning behind the health claims of CONSUMERS regarding the use of Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth for human health.
My name is Larry Smith
, (President of Earthworks Health, LLC and EarthworksHealth.com). For better health, people like me and my family take one or two tablespoons of Diatomaceous Earth in a liquid every day. Many people benefit from just one teaspoon daily! I mix it with grapefruit juice and my wife mixes it with just water. Other options are mixing the DE with soda pop, juice, or whatever liquid you prefer. Some mix DE in protein shakes, applesauce or yogurt. Our Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth is pure. There is no actual flavor or taste to it. Since DE does not dissolve, stirring the mixture several times as you drink it will prevent settling. Some folks experience higher energy levels, so it is probably best not to take just before sleeping. Not to worry about taking too much - any excess silica not needed by the body is naturally eliminated through the kidneys and intestines… but we must find our own comfortable levels.
Remarkable Diatomaceous Earth health benefits through Silica
As previously noted, like most wonderful natural products,
this product requires an FDA Disclaimer: “This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Discussion of Diatomaceous Earth health benefits is based solely on personal experience and testimony shared by individual DE users and this company cannot market or label DE as a human health supplement with specific medical claims.” Having said that,
we look at what consumers say about DE and at evidence of DE’s important cleansing properties and value as a rich source of Silica.
) has been reported to absorb methyl mercury, E. coli, endotoxins, viruses (including poliovirus), organophosphate pesticide residues, and drug residues. DE is a natural organic colon cleanser and detoxifier. This cleansing and detoxification alone has a myriad of positive effects in the human body. Mechanisms are cited on “How DE Works” page. Adding to this is the widespread deficiency in human dietary sources of what is called “the most important trace element in human health” – Silica, and how rich DE is in this substance, we begin to understand the basis of the health benefits that so many have attested to. Only a trace amount of the DE silica is absorbed into the blood stream, and just that amount is a substantial gain for the user.
A growing number of people
count beneficial human side effects of Diatomaceous Earth and SILICA as being nothing short of vital to their well being and exhibit genuine devotion toward its use. The only cautionary side effect that we have found relating to Food Grade DE has to do with direct inhalation and is essentially the same caution that is advised when handling baby powder. DE is a very fine powder.
Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth is 89% Silica.
It was established in the 1940s that life can’t exist without Silica. More recently, in her book “Water & Salt” Dr. Barbara Hendel states: “Silica is the most important trace element in human health.”Silica plays an important role in many bodily functions and has a direct relationship to mineral absorption.
The average human body holds approximately seven grams of silica, needing significantly more silica than even important minerals such as iron. Most people are, in fact, silica deficient. Among other things, enough silica in the body is vital enough for calcium absorption to allow calcium supplements to work. If Silica deficient, as is the case in the vast majority of us, calcium supplementation can even be a negative. Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth is an excellent natural and organic source of silica.
Other Reported Health Benefits of Silica / DE Include
Blood Pressure, Cholesterol, Osteoperosis, Weight Loss, Cosmetics, Hair, Nails, Teeth & Gums, Energy, Bacteria, Mucus, Anti-Aging, Urinary Infections, Headache.Here’s what consumers have to say about Diatomaceous Earth:
Lower High Blood Pressure
Of the thousands of people that are using Diatomaceous Earth, most that have high blood pressure have reported that it has gone down. It has been so thrilling to talk to people all over the United States and have them tell their stories. We are not just talking a few points – we are talking about LIFE-CHANGING numbers. Doctors are amazed–customers are amazed. You will be, too.
Lower High Cholesterol
According to consumers, just as Diatomaceous Earth health benefits include lowering blood pressure, it has also been lowering cholesterol! I have not talked with one person that has high cholesterol that has not had lower numbers after taking Diatomaceous Earth. Most are reporting 40-60 points lower after only 2 weeks on DE. I know it sounds too good to be true, but it works!
Just received this feedback from a user..
“I have been on DE for 6 months now and I just had my lab work done. My triglycerides have been reduced from 495 down to 203. I have so much more energy and my hair and nails are growing so much better. My husband has had high blood pressure and since being on the dirt, his BP is now in the normal range. It has also helped with my varicose veins and I no longer have any pain from them..”
.. Rhonda from Louisiana
Osteoporosis, Joints & Calcium
Osteoporosis is a symptom of the aging process. As calcium in our body system depletes, our bones become brittle and weak. Taking only a calcium supplement cannot correct or stop this threatening and crippling disease because the body cannot assimilate and make use of the calcium without the presence of silica. Evidence suggests that, instead of affecting healing, supplemental mineral calcium, on the contrary, accelerates the leaching away of bone calcium and thus hastens the degenerative process of osteoporosis and similar diseases that affect the supportive and connective tissues in the human body. The Silica found in Diatomaceous Earth enhances calcium absorbtion.
Silica can stop the pain and even restore the body’s self repair process. Osteoporosis symptoms attack women primarily after menopause but the degenerative process starts much earlier in their younger days. More women are dying of fractures caused by osteoporosis than of cancer of the breast, cervix, and uterus combined. Silica is responsible for the depositing of minerals into the bones, especially calcium. It speeds up the healing of fractures and also reduces scarring at the site of a fracture. More and more research evidence shows that through a transmutation process, silica is turned into calcium when it is needed. That is why some scientists refer to silica as a precursor of calcium. Even when calcium is insufficient, the body can turn silica into calcium that the bones need.
Natural Weight Loss
We have been getting hundreds of reports from all over the United States that DE is helping people lose weight. Everyone is saying that DE taken in the morning helps curb their appetite throughout the day. Just one more reason to take it everyday!
Detox Your Body
Diatomaceous Earth health benefits reported to inlude detox! According to Kaayla T. Daniel, PhD, CCN and Galen D. Knight, PhD in their article “Mad as a Hatter” there is no better product to detox HEAVY METALS and RADIATION from your body than with Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth!
Nature’s Internal Cosmetic
In Europe and Asia, Diatomaceous Earth health benefits are widely recognized to include use as a health and beauty product for hair, skin, nails, bones, and joints.
Accelerates due to aging when connective tissue develops an increasing inability to retain moisture when left unassisted. Silica can help slow the degenerative process of connective tissue. With silica, vitality and life, which are often lost as the years accumulate, can be naturally maintained or even restored to your skin. Collagen, largely made up of silica, is the glue that holds us together. If our body has enough silica glucosaminoglycane, the collagen will make us look younger. Silica helps with skin problems and injuries including itching, rashes, abscesses, boils, acne, callouses, warts, eczemas, burns, frostbite, benign skin sores, insect bites and bed sores. If you regularly follow a silica regimen, your skin will keep its youthful look. A good silica supplementation program works far better than other products for maintaining healthier and longer lasting collagen.
Hair That Grows
Hair is nature’s greatest beauty enhancer. Hair deserves to be pampered. Hair at 90 micrograms per gram is almost as rich in silica as are healthy bones, which contain 100 micrograms per gram. Silica is a major component of hair. Using a good silica supplement should be part of your ongoing hair care program for revitalizing hair. Silica helps to prevent baldness, stimulates healthier hair growth and assures beautiful shine, luster and strength.
Teeth and Gums
By hardening the enamel, silica prevents cavities and preserves teeth. Silica also prevents bleeding gums, gum atrophy, and recession that causes the loosening of teeth, which could ultimately lead to tooth loss. Silica effectively fights ulceration and the decay of bones and teeth and also lessens inflammation.
Tough As Nails
Your nail plates are complex protein structures that grow four to five millimeters per month on average. With silica supplementation, fragile nails become normal within a short period of time. Silica will beautify the appearance of your nails and improve their hardness, making them shinier and less prone to breaking.
Restorative Effects Of Silica
This will be most noticeable on your hair, skin, nails and teeth. Our skin and hair require silica essentially for the same purpose as do other tissues. As we know, the supporting collagen underneath the skin enhances elasticity and beauty. Collagen owes that quality to silica, which provides a beautiful complexion that is more than skin deep.
Pubic Lice (Crabs) and Hair Lice
Dust Diatomaceous Earth on all areas of the body that are infested with the Lice (Crabs). Also dust your bedding and rooms you have been in.
More Reported Benefits Of Diatomaceous Earth:
- Silica lowers bad cholesterol and raises good
- Silica fades age spots
- Silica stimulates metabolism for higher energy levels
- Diatomaceous Earth has a negative charge and bacteria has a positive charge. It is believed that Diatomaceous Earth sweeps bacteria out of the body by trapping it in its honeycomb shaped skeletal form.
- Silica supplementation helps repair and maintain vital lung tissue and protects them from pollution. By maintaining or restoring the elasticity of lung tissue, silica reduces inflammation in bronchitis.
- It acts as a cough decreasing agent. Silica tones the upper respiratory tract (nose, pharynx, larynx) and reduces swelling because of its positive action on the lymphatic system.
- Silica supplementation keeps menopause free of stress and helps to prevent many unwanted side effects of menopause
- Silica works with other antioxidants to prevent premature aging and to preserve youthfulness.
- Silica can help prevent kidney stones and heal infections of the urinary tract. It is a natural diuretic which can increase excretion of urine by 30 percent, thus flushing the water-excreting system and restoring normal function to these vital organs.
- The presence of sufficient silica in the intestines will reduce inflammation of the intestinal tract. It can cause disinfection in the case of stomach and intestinal mucus and ulcers. Silica can prevent or clear up diarrhea and its opposite, constipation.
- Silica will help normalize hemorrhoidal tissues.
- In regulating and normalizing the bowels, silica has a pleasant side effect; it can alleviate lower back pain, which often troubles the elderly.
- Silica proves effective with female discharge, abscesses and ulcers in the genital area and cervix, as well as mastitis (especially for breast feeding mothers).
- The intake of silica acts as a supportive treatment for inflammation of the middle ear. Because of the beneficial effectiveness on the lymphatic system, silica can be used for swelling of the lymph nodes in the throat.
- Has anti-inflammatory disinfecting, absorbing and odor binding effects.
- Silica can normalize circulation and regulate high blood pressure (hypertension).
- Silica can decrease vertigo, headache, tinnitus (buzzing of the ears) and insomnia.
- Silica can help diabetes by promoting synthesis of elastase inhibitor by the pancreas.
- Silica can help arterial disease by strengthening the blood vessels. Studies confirm that with age, silica disappears from the aorta, the heart’s key blood vessel, thus weakening its critical connective tissue and resulting in a greater cardiac risk.
- Silica can help prevent Tuberculosis.
- By improving the elasticity of the joints, silica helps rheumatism.
- Silica has inhibitory effects on coronary diseases.
- Silica can help avoiding or alleviating Alzheimer’s disease by preventing the body from absorbing aluminum and may flush out aluminum from the tissues. Silica can stimulate the immune system.
Most who use Diatomaceous Earth mixed with a juice or liquid say that they use one to two tablespoons daily.
Diatomaceous Earth FAQ:
See Home Page For Diatomaceous Earth Video
Don’t forget that Diatomaceous Earth has many Household Uses.
REQUIRED FDA DISCLAIMER: *
Content on this site is for reference purposes only, based on reviews from users of diatomaceous earth. It is not intended to substitute for advice given by a physician, pharmacist, or other licensed healthcare professional. User statements regarding this dietary supplement have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or health condition. Those with health problems, pregnancy or who are nursing are specifically advised that they should consult their physician before taking any nutritional supplement.
* Any food grade diatomaceous earth uses other than those approved by the EPA, FDA, or USDA are strictly anecdotal reports of what countless numbers of users as well as we ourselves have done with diatomaceous earth.
Other interesting links :
Diatomaceous Earth – Household Uses
See Home Page For Diatomaceous Earth Video
Enjoy the many practical and money saving benefits of
Diatomaceous Earth for every day household use:
Make a paste with Diatomaceous Earth and water to make a metal polish. Diatomaceous Earth also makes a very inexpensive soft scrub for the shower, sink and faucets.
Face Mask and Cleanser:
Mix Diatomaceous Earth and water together until you have made a paste. Apply to the face with circular scrubbing motion until face is fully covered. Leave on face for approx. 2 min. and then wash off with warm water. Your face will be fully exfoliated and toned for pennies!! Mix Diatomaceous Earth with your favorite cleanser and you will have cleaner, smoother skin.
Sprinkle a small amount on your favorite brand of toothpaste and brush as you normally would. You will notice that your teeth look and feel “Just went to the dentist” clean.
Use Diatomaceous Earth for control of roaches, silverfish, ants, bedbugs, flies, fleas, box elder bugs, scorpions, crickets, and many other insects. Diatomaceous Earth can be used in and around the home, yard, animal housing, etc. Diatomaceous Earth will not harm earthworms or beneficial soil microorganisms. *
Garage/Driveway Oil Stains:
To remove oil stains from garage floor or driveway: Make sure area is dry and completely cover the stain with diatomaceous earth. Let the powder soak up the oil for 24 hours. Remove the excess with a metal spatula or paint scraper and dispose.
Diatomaceous Earth can be used in the same way as baking soda to banish odors. Leave an open box or jar of DE in the refrigerator and freezer. Replace with fresh DE every week or so.
For fresh smelling footware, place some DE into the ends of two knee high nylon stockings and tie a knot the top. Place the stockings inside shoes or boots. Leave until used again.
To remove stains from carpets, cover the stain with DE and lightly work into the stain. Let set for at least 2 hours and vacuum up.
Garbage Can Odor:
To deodorize a garbage can with DE, sprinkle a cup or so of diatomaceous earth in the bottom of the garbage can. Not only deodorizes, but will kill any bugs and larvae that are present.
Diatomaceous Earth FAQ:
Posted: February 11, 2014 Filed under: Food, Health | Tags: diet, high protein, kidney damage, kidney stones, kidneys, protein
Scientists say high-protein diets increase risk of kidney problems
by David Gutierrez, staff writer
(NaturalNews) High-protein diets place people at risk of kidney damage, according to a study conducted by researchers from the University of Granada, Spain, and published in the journal Nutricion Hospitalaria.
Diets that emphasize the consumption of protein over carbohydrates, such as the Dukan, Paleo or Atkins diets, have been consistently popular for decades. In recent years, media reports of the Dukan diet helping the Duchess of Cambridge slim down into her wedding dress and helping Jennifer Lopez regain her pre-pregnancy figure have led to a surge in its popularity. Approximately 2 million people are believed to be on the diet in France, the homeland of diet founder Pierre Dukan.
But high-protein diets have always been controversial, with health professionals warning that they can easily lead to excessive protein intake, which can lead to kidney damage.
In the new study, researchers fed rats either a standard diet or a diet consisting of enough added hydrolyzed protein supplement to bring the total protein content to 45 percent. After 12 weeks (the equivalent of nine years in human lifespan), the rats on the protein had lost 10 percent of their body weight relative to the controls. Notably, however, there was no change found in the rats’ lipid profile – suggesting no reduction in their risk of heart disease.
More troublingly, the rats on the high-protein diet experienced an 88 percent decrease in levels of urinary citrate and a 15 percent increase in the acidity of their urine. Their kidney weight increased by 22 percent; the size of capillaries that filter blood to the kidneys increased by 13 percent, and the size of the collagen around those capillaries increased by 32 percent. These last three factors are signs of chronic inflammation.
Low urinary citrate and swollen kidneys are warning signs of kidney stone formation, while low urinary pH is a sign of kidney failure and kidney tubular acidosis.
“Studies developed in humans have also observed very similar results in plasma and urine,” lead author Virginia A. Aparicio said.
This suggests that high-protein diets in humans “could bring long-term renal complications in some individuals most prone to or at increased risk of renal disease.”
Diet with caution
The study is only the latest to cast doubts on the safety of high-protein diets, largely due to concerns about kidney damage. In 2010, 2011 and 2012, the British Dietary Association ranked the Dukan diet as the top diet to avoid. Indeed, Dukan has even been banned from practicing medicine in his native France.
Dukan himself has warned of side effects from high-protein diets, including vitamin and mineral deficiencies, bad breath, constipation and lack of energy. Furthermore, a 2012 study found that 80 percent of people who followed the Dukan diet regained all of the weight they had lost within three years. Weight fluctuation of this type is known to increase the risk of high blood pressure, diabetes and heart disease.
Another major problem with high-protein diets, Aparicio warned, is that they can cause people to prioritize eating meat and eggs over fruits and vegetables. This places further strain on the kidneys and also increases the risk of chronic diseases including cardiovascular disease and cancer.
People who do choose to try out a high-protein diet should do so only under medical supervision, Aparicio said. They should also make an effort to eat plenty of fruits and vegetables.
“Eating large amounts of fruit and vegetables reduces the risk of kidney stones forming – probably due to their high potassium and magnesium content, which compensates for the acidity of the high-protein diet,” Aparicio said.
Sources for this article include:
Posted: February 10, 2014 Filed under: Beauty, Health | Tags: tooth cleansers, white teeth, yellow teeth
10 Effective Home Remedies For Yellow Teeth
Isn’t it sad that you need to think before you smile? Laughing aloud is a strict no, no and just is limited to texting! Yellow teeth sure can be embarrassing!
Yellow teeth are usually a sign of decay and indicate an accumulation of plaque as well. Yellowing of teeth is caused by various foods that we consume and due to ageing. We focus so much on how our face looks and tend to overlook the health of our teeth. Fortunately, with these simple top 10 home remedies for teeth whitening, you can protect the enamel of your teeth and keep your pearly whites gleaming!
1. Holy Basil:
This wonder herb is a remedy for a plethora of ailments and is an excellent tooth- whitening agent as well. It also protects the mouth from a variety of dental problems. Sun- dry the leaves and grind it to a powder. You can mix this powder with toothpaste and utilize it daily.
This is one of the oldest remedies for teeth cleansing. All you have to do is mix a bit of salt and charcoal and use the mixture to clean your teeth. The salt granules act as an abrasive and remove the yellow layer stuck onto the teeth. This remedy is mild on the tooth enamel when compared to toothpaste.
3. Orange Peel:
Orange peels are an excellent remedy for bad breath as well as for yellowing teeth. Simply rub an orange peel on your teeth each night before going to bed. The calcium content and Vitamin C in orange peels eliminate microbes from the mouth apart from reducing the yellow tinge from your teeth, leaving you with fresh breath. One can also add dried orange peel and basil powder to regular toothpaste and use every day.
The fibre content in carrots is very high, and this acts as a scrubber to cleanse the teeth of accumulated plaque, leading to the removal of the yellow tinge on the tooth enamel. Carrots are as good for your teeth as they are for your eyes!
Neem has been used since ancient times as a teeth whitening agent. The neem twigs can be used as a toothbrush, all one has to do is chew on the twig. This action not only loosens up any food particles stuck between the teeth, but also reduces bad breath and cleanses the tongue. One can also mix neem oil along with toothpaste while brushing. Neem is a natural antibacterial and antiseptic, so its regular use will ensure that your mouth is fresh and teeth are nice and shiny.
6. Baking Soda:
Baking Soda is one of the best remedies for yellow teeth. It neutralizes acids in the oral cavity and is a mild abrasive. Gently rubbing a bit of baking soda on the teeth can help to scrape off the yellow layer accumulated on it. One can mix a bit of baking soda, salt, and toothpaste for effective teeth whitening.
This very common citrus fruit stimulates the formation of saliva in the mouth, which helps to rinse the teeth and gums, ridding them of stuck food particles. Mix equal proportion of water with lemon juice and use this as a mouthwash after each meal. This remedy also helps to reduce bad breath. The citric acid in the lemon acts as bleach and whitens yellowing teeth. It is important that the lemon juice is diluted as the citric acid may erode the teeth over a period of time.
These are one of the tastiest remedies for yellow teeth! The malic acid in strawberries is an effective tooth cleanser. Mix some strawberry pulp along with a bit of baking soda to whiten your teeth. Within a month of this, you can notice that your teeth are significantly whiter!
9. Banana Peel:
One of the most unlikely remedies for yellow teeth, Banana peels are an excellent teeth whitener. Simply rub the banana peel on your teeth thoroughly and leave it on for 15 minutes. Brush your teeth with regular toothpaste after that. Regular use of this remedy will show a marked decrease in the yellowish tinge covering your teeth.
10. Apple Cider Vinegar:
Blend a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil with a tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar in a bowl. Dip your toothbrush in this and scrub your teeth. Repeat this process until the mixture is finished. This remedy not only whitens teeth, but also reduces bad breath and swelling of gums.
Why hide your joy? Use these top 10 home remedies to get rid of the stains and yellowing layers and restore the confidence to your smile!
Source : http://www.stylecraze.com/articles/effective-home-remedies-for-yellow-teeth/